Saturday, September 4, 2010

A Traditional Treat: South African Crunchies

As some of my readers know, I love cooking, and from time to time, I miss eating traditional South African foods, things like bobotjie, koeksusters, rusks, boerewors etc. and today I thought I would share a wonderful crunchie recipe that I have used. It's easy to make and requires no baking skills, except the ability to measure and follow a recipe.

Think of today's post as a sweet treat, thanks to my readers for following me. If you find this recipe on the web, please leave a comment. Measurements are metric.

Traditional South African Crunchies

Combine the following dry ingredients together:
2 cups (250 ml) cake (all purpose) flour
2 cups finely dessicated non-sweetened coconut
2 cups slow cooking rolled oats
1.5 cups of white sugar

Melt:
300-350 g of butter
1 heaped tablespoon of Lyle's golden syrup

When melted, add:

1.5 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) dissolved in 1 tablespoon of boiling water.
Add this to the melted butter/syrup mixture.

Stir vigorously, but be careful as the mixture will froth!

Mix the dry ingredients in and let it stand for about 10 minutes.

Press the mixture into a greased oven tray (I use a baking spray)

Bake at 220 deg C (428 deg F) for approximately 30 mins or until a deep golden brown.

Remove from oven, cut into squares while still warm and allow to cool in the baking tray before using a lifter and allowing to cool completely out of the tray,

Store in a tight container.

I am about to bake my own and if I remember will put up a photograph of what they look like!

Enjoy.

1 comment:

Sean said...

Yum. Looks good!